The new North Coast Co-op building offers more than 5 times the space of the old location, taking up an entire city block in Eureka, CA. The $9 million project utilized sustainable materials and practices to expand and reinvent an old Big Loaf bakery building on the property; three of the original walls and the trusses from the bakery building were used. The full structure required the abandonment of a city alley and the reroute of a major city sanitary sewer line down US-101/4th Street.
Whitchurch Engineering Inc. worked closely with the contractor, Caltrans, the City of Eureka, and local utilities throughout the project. Services included:
- Structural engineering for the structure and foundation
- Performed helical pier, grade beam, rebar, epoxied rebar, concrete, CMU, shear wall, grout, and structural strapping inspections.
- Civil grading
- Erosion Control Plans
- Structural Plans
- Mechanical/Plumbing/Electrical Coordination
- Full-time onsite field engineer for inspections and construction help
- Caltrans/City of Eureka inspections and permitting
- Fiber optic relocation coordination with Cox cable
- Environmental remediation coordination